- Faisal Dar’s contributions in the development of liver transplant service in Pakistan was recognized by the Government of Pakistan and he was awarded with “Sitara e Imtiaz” by the honorable president of Pakistan in 2016.
- He was awarded the “BMJ South Asia award 2017” as the best surgical team of the year for developing liver transplant service in Pakistan.
- He has been awarded the “Zenith Global Healthcare’s international healthcare professional and special recognition awards in 2018” for developing liver transplant, hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgical service in Pakistan.
Honours and Contributions to Pakistani Society
It is estimated that there are 13 million people infected with viral hepatitis in Pakistan. The incidence of other liver diseases remains unknown. With such a massive disease burden there was a massive need for liver transplant programs in our country. Unfortunately there was no liver transplant facility in our country. Majority of the patients with end stage liver disease and liver cancer was dying; and the ones who could afford was going abroad. A liver transplant would cost huge amount of resources.
Such an expensive treatment was not available to majority of the Pakistani patients.
To his credit is the establishment of this area of medicine in our country. In the last few years; he has been able to build a sustainable liver transplant program and train a new generations of transplant surgeons to cater the needs of the society. Now patients don’t have to go abroad to have liver transplant surgery.
Special moments of Dr Faisal Dar Career:
- Have performed more than 1000 living donor liver transplants in Pakistan.
- Have performed Pakistan first living donor pediatric liver transplant on a 9 year old boy (on 30-04-2012). It received wide media coverage.
- Have done Pakistan’s first adult to adult living donor liver transplant (LDLT) on a 41 years old man ( on 01-05-2012).
- Have Performed Pakistan first Domino Liver Transplantation on a 71 years old man (on 21-09-2012).
- Have done Pakistan first Liver Transplant for acute liver failure on a 27 years old young man (on 18-06-2013).
- Have performed Pakistan first pediatric Liver Transplant for acute Wilson’s disease on 13 years old boy (on 02-08-2013).
- Have done Pakistan first Redo Liver Transplant (second transplant) on a 45 years old man from who’s first liver transplant failed due to adverse drug reaction (on 07-01-2014/09-01-2014).
- Have performed a liver transplant on the youngest Pakistani child (at the age of 05 months) (on 15-04-2014).
- Have performed Pakistan first Auxiliary liver transplant on a six years old girl for Criggler Nijjar Syndrome (on 18-06-2014).
- Have also performed Pakistan’s first dual graft liver transplant (liver transplant using two living donors).